Bottom Lip Piercing
What is Bottom Lip Piercing?
Bottom lip piercings refer to a perforation or a set of perforations made on the lower lip. Bottom lip piercings include a variety of piercings based on the location of the piercing, namely:
- Inside bottom lip piercing
- Middle bottom lip piercing
- Center bottom lip piercing
- Snakebite piercing
- Shark bite piercing
- Dolphin bite piercing
- Lower side lip piercing
- Spider bites piercing
- Horizontal lip piercing
- Canine Bites lip piercing
Bottom Lip Piercing Precautions
- Select a certified or a reputed piercing salon headed by an experienced professional piercing artist. This is done to reduce chances of infection by ensuring that the salon is hygienic and the technique used during the procedure is correct.
- Carefully select the jewelry. Most jewellery has specific sides demarcated for the exterior and the interior of the mouth. It should be selected by keeping in mind the adverse effects that the wrong kind of jewelry can have on the person’s oral health.
Bottom Lip Piercing Risks
- Infection due to unhygienic conditions or use of non-sterilized equipment during the piercing procedure.
- Gum erosion due to constant contact between the metal jewelry and the gum
- Gums recede due to the constant touching of the metal jewelry
- Nerves present in the gums get extreme exposure due to the recession of the gums, causing weakening of gums & teeth
- Change in shape or loss of teeth.
- The risk of contracting diseases like herpes, aids & hepatitis B and C in case a non-sterilized needle is used
Bottom Lip Piercing Method
- Rinse the mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash.
- Markings are made with a surgical pen by the piercing artist to determine the exact location
- After this, the artist uses a sterilized hollow needle to make the perforation
- Jewelry is also inserted immediately at the time of the piercing
Bottom Lip Piercing Pain
Pain incurred at the time of piercing differs from person to person. Different people can bear different levels of pain. Also, the technique and equipment and technique used to perform the piercing affects the pain levels too.
It is generally 6 to 8 weeks before the piercing heals completely. But there are a lot of variations that come under the broad category of bottom lip piercing like the Medusa piercing which may take a longer time to heal. Also, the aftercare and the ability of the person’s body to repair its wounds affects the healing time.
Bottom Lip Piercing Aftercare
How to avoid infections?
Bottom Lip Piercing Jewelry
A variety of jewelry options is available in case of a bottom lip piercing. Hoops, circular barbells, labret studs, captive bead rings are advised to be used at the time of the piercing. Once the wound has healed, the person may experiment with the kind of jewelry they wish to wear.
Bottom Lip Piercing Cost
The cost is dependent on the cost of the jewelry one chooses. Usually, the cost for a bottom lip piercing ranges between $20 to 60.