Forward Helix Piercing
What is Forward Helix Piercing?
The outer rim of the ear is called the helix and front side of the rim is termed as Forward Helix. A piercing on the top of the front cartilage of the ear is known as a Forward helix piercing. It is predominantly visible and it can be noticed easily.
Forward Helix Piercing Precautions
- Visit a good piercing studio or parlor. The piercing must be performed by a professional or a piercing artist who has a license.
- It is important to inform the piercing expert the exact spot where the individual wants the piercing to be done. To avoid any kind of confusion, one can also ask the professional to mark the exact spot that is to be pierced.
- The Forward Helix Piercing needs to be made with a sterilized needle. It cannot be performed by a gun as the gun cannot be sterilized. Forward helix piercing done by a gun is illegal as it can cause an infection and other health complications.
- Remove hair strands that may come in the way of the spot where the piercing is supposed to take place. The use of a gun may lead to shattering of the cartilage or collapse and deformation of the ear. This is also done to prevent infections.
How is forward helix piercing done?
- Firstly, the individual will be made to sit on the chair and the equipment for the piercing will be brought out.
- Demand for freshly sterilized equipment to be opened out in your presence.
- Also, the professional who is supposed to perform the piercing must wear sterilized gloves
- The professional will clean the forward helix with an alcohol wipe
- Markings will be made for the spot
- Once the spot has been finalized the piercer will sanitize the area
- After that, the receiving tube will be used to hold the tissue in place for it to be punctured
- Next the professional will use a sterilized needle to make the piercing
- Once the piercing is done, the pierced area will be cleaned using a saline solution
Forward Helix Piercing Pain
An experience of pain caused due to the piercing varies from person to person as different people have different thresholds of pain. Most people are of the opinion that forward helix piercing is more painful than other piercings. On a scale of 10, on an average people rate the level of pain 5-7, with 10 being the most painful.
Forward Helix Piercing Aftercare
Ideally, a forward helix piercing takes about 8 to 12 weeks to heal. The healing time varies from a person to another as some people might take more time to heal as compared to others. The time also depends on regular cleaning and proper aftercare.
How to avoid any Forward Helix Piercing infection?
How to Take Care of Infections?
- In case the piercing is infected, proper aftercare swabs and piercing aftercare sprays must be used to clean the piercing at regular intervals to avoid further infestation. But it is necessary to consult an expert before using any such products.
- It is normal for people to experience a swollen ear or redness at the location of the piercing. It is best left untouched as dirty hands may worsen the situation.
- The person must stop using medication such as Betadine, Tea tree oil, alcohol swabs and hydrogen peroxide to clean the piercing.
- It is advised that a person should not remove the piece of jewelry from the piercing as it causes a blockage and does not allow the fluid to leave the area causing pain and the formation of a lump.
- It is also strictly advised that if the pain is unbearable and is followed by bleeding, the person must not continue wearing the jewelry and block the piercing.
Under all circumstances, the infected person must not self-medicate and consult a doctor to ensure correct treatment and the consumption of the necessary medicines suited for the infection.
Interesting facts about Forward Helix Piercing:
This type of piercing is considered to be both strong as well as feminine and dainty. Even though it causes more pain compared to the other piercings, the location is limited to a small area. Famous celebrities who have got a Forward Helix Piercing include Miley Cyrus, Emma Watson, Hillary Duff and Scarlett Johansson among others.
Different Types of Forward Helix Piercing
- Single forward helix piercing: A single perforation that is done right at the top of the ear. It’s done in the front portion of the ear and the pain usually lasts for a few seconds.
- Double Forward Helix Piercing: It is a kind of helix piercing that includes two perforations in the frontal helix area. It is better to avoid multiple piercings as the chances of infection might increase.
- Triple Forward Helix Piercing: This involves 3 perforations that are done one after another in the forward helix area. The pain is usually more than the other types and costs more too. A labret stud or the small hoop rings can be a preferred choice of jewelry.
Forward Helix Piercing Jewelry
It is suggested that while getting a forward helix piercing, one must wear a bar instead of a hoop because bacteria can remain on the curve of the hoop. This might make it more susceptible to infections as compared to a bar. To avoid discomfort due to a straight bar digging into the ear, one may opt for a curved bar instead.
The cost of a forward helix piercing varies from a piercing studio to the other. Usually, it costs within the range of $30-90. Additional costs may be added depending on the jewelry a person chooses or the aftercare products that a person purchases on the recommendation of the piercing artist. Also, multiple piercings will cost more than the above-mentioned price.