High nostril piercing refers to a perforation that is usually higher than the normal piercing on the nostril. It is a piercing that is located on the nose bridge on one side of the nose or on both sides of the nose.
Risks related to high nostril piercing:
- Infection – The most common danger relater to any kind of piercing is an infection. The bacteria known as staphylococcus is very common found in nasal mucosa, hence making the area extremely susceptible to infections. In order to avoid such a condition, people have to undergo vigorous treatments with antibiotics.
- Bleeding from the septum – The area of skin and cartilage that separates the two nostrils is called the septum. Bleeding and bleeding from the septum are called septal hematoma. It is usually caused in cases of high nasal piercing. Nasal congestion, pain, swelling and difficulty in breathing are signs of septal hematoma.
- Jewellery aspiration and migration – Another common danger associated with nasal piercing are the chances of the nasal jewellery being swallowed or aspirated through the nasal cavity. The jewellery may also move further away from the original position. Also, chances are that the jewellery may be pulled out, resulting in the jewel getting embedded in the nasal wall. In such a case the jewel has to be removed through a surgery.
- Affects the perichondritis of nasal wall – Perichondritis is the thick membrane of connective tissues that form a wrapping around most of the cartilages in the body. Nasal piercings often come with the risk of inflammation of the perichondritis.
- Necrosis of the nasal wall – Necrosis is the death of living cells. Both the lateral walls of the nasal wall may be affected by necrosis in case of a high nasal piercing.
Method of high nostril piercing:
High nostril piercing is a bit different from the usual nose piercing. The area is wiped. A surgical pen is used to mark the spot at which the customer wants the piercing. A sterilized needle is used along with a receiving tube to make the perforation and the jewellery of the customer’s choice is inserted. The size of the needle may vary but usually it is an 18 gauge needle. Most often a caliper is also used to bend the jewellery while making a high nostril piercing because the area where the piercing is to be made is thicker than the other regions.
Pain is expected in case of a high nostril piercing. Since the area for the piercing is thick, the perforation will have to be made through the thick layer. In such a case pain in obvious and the degree of pain is at a higher degree than in case of other piercings because of the same reason. Again pain is an experience that is different for different people because the amount of pain one can bear is different from others.
A high nostril piercing is made at a region that is thicker than the other areas for nose piercings. Hence, it takes comparatively more time to heal. Unlike other nose piercings, the usual time taken for a high nostril piercing to heal is about 4-6 months. Healing also depends on how fast a person’s body repairs its wounds internally. Also proper care should be taken to ensure faster healing.
How to avoid infections?
It is important to clean the area of the twice daily. Before cleaning the area one must make sure to sanitize his/her hands properly. This is done to avoid the spread of bacteria. Lathering an antibacterial soap around the pierced area and rinsing with lukewarm water is the first step while cleaning the piercing.
Make a saline solution consisting of sea salt and warm water. The solution should be dabbed using a cotton bud inside and outside the area. Then the area should be rinsed properly and dried with the help of a tissue or towel.
In case of infections:
|· Avoid using make up and beauty products.
· Ensure that the punctured area is healed completely before changing the jewellery.
· Store saline water, which is used for cleaning the wound; in the fridge.
· Use aftercare swabs and sprays to help the wound heal.
|· Do not touch the pierced area with dirty hands, to avoid spread of bacteria and further infestation of the infection.
· Do not over clean the area.
· Do not use any medication or ointment without consulting a doctor as the wrong medication can cause the healing process to slow down and may also leave back scars.
· Do not go swimming, as bacteria may come into contact with the wound.
How to treat infections?
Normally a high nostril piercing may cause swelling, redness and pain for about 10- 15 days. But in case the condition worsens one must take the necessary steps to cure the infection. Sometimes, the pierced area develops a bump which usually contains pus. Consulting a doctor is necessary. One must also apply warm compress to the area. Also, a bag of chamomile green tea can be used as compress which helps to soothe the pain and improves blood circulation.
For a high nostril piercing extra care must be taken while choosing the jewellery. Since the most common size of the needle used for the piercing is 18 gauge, the most common size for the jewellery suggested by the piercer will be about 20 gauge. But this decision might change when the piercer makes decisions based on the nose of the person, the spot where the customer wants the piercing, etc.
Usually the cost of getting a high nostril piercing ranges between $50-80. But the cost is subject to change with regard to the charges of the piercing parlour and the piercing artist hired for the purpose. The cost also depends on the kind of jewellery one chooses as well as the after care products that are purchased to help in the healing of the piercing.