The vertical labret piercing also known as the middle bottom lip piercing is a perforation on the lower lips. The piercing starts at the top of the bottom lip and without entering the mouth it ends at the bottom of the lower lip. It is one of the many variations that come under the category of the lower lip piercing.
Vertical Labret Piercing Precautions
- Choose an experienced piercing artist to make the piercing
- Choose a salon that has a clean and hygienic environment to avoid infections
- Discuss the procedure with the piercing artist to ensure that he/she uses the correct method to avoid infection or other complications
- Make sure that the equipment used during the procedure are sterilized
- Choose the jewelry wisely so that it is comfortable enough to be worn continuously till the healing is complete
Vertical Labret Piercing Risks
- Damage caused to teeth because of poor placement.
- Damage of gums and recession of gums due to poor placement.
- If the piercing is stretched the piercing may never close completely, therefore the person may leak from the mouth.
Vertical Labret Piercing Method
- The person will be asked to rinse his/her mouth with an anti bacteria mouthwash.
- The piercing artist will clean the lower lip with an antiseptic solution.
- The area to be pierced will be marked with a surgical pen.
- The lip is held steady with the help of a clamp.
- The perforation is made using a hollow 16 gauge needle.
- The jewellery is also inserted at the same time.
Vertical Labret Piercing Pain
The pain incurred by a person undergoing a vertical labret piercing is like the usual pain that occurs in case of any kind of piercing. However, pain cannot be generalized as different people have varying capacities of pain bearing.
Vertical Labret Piercing Aftercare
Time taken for a person’s wound to heal depends upon how fast the body of the person is able to repair itself. Hence, healing time varies from person to person. However, the usual time taken for a vertical labret piercing to heal is about 8-10 weeks.
How to take care of the piercing?
Signs of Vertical Labret Piercing infection
Signs such as redness and itching are common during the healing process in case of a vertical labret piercing. Other than that the person must check if there is swelling, discharge of pus and extreme pain as they are signs of an infection. In such cases the doctor must be consulted and medication should be taken accordingly.
Vertical Labret Piercing Jewellery
Various kinds of jewellery such as the straight barbell, labret studs, bars and rings can be used in case of a vertical labret piercing. But it is advisable to use a curved barbell when the piercing is made. The person can switch to other jewellery options once the wound has healed completely.
Vertical Labret Piercing Cost
The cost of a vertical labret stud depends on the choice of jewellery, the fee of the piercing artist and the salon where the piercing is to be done. Bust most often the cost to get a vertical; labret piercing is about $60.