The vertical labret piercing or middle bottom lip piercing is a perforation on the lower lips. The piercing starts at the top of the bottom lip and without entering the mouth it ends at the bottom of the lower lip. It is one of the many variations that come under the category of the lower lip piercing.
- Choose an experienced piercing artist
- Choose a salon that has a clean and hygienic environment to avoid infections
- Discuss the procedure to ensure application of the correct method to avoid complications
- Make sure the equipment used are sterilized
- Choose the jewelry wisely so that it is comfortable enough to be worn
- Damage caused to teeth because of poor placement
- Damage to gums and recession of gums due to poor placement
- If the piercing is stretched it may never close completely
- Rinse the mouth with an anti-bacterial mouthwash
- Clean the lower lip with an antiseptic solution
- Piercing area will be marked with a surgical pen
- Hold the lips steady with the help of a clamp
- Perforation is made using a hollow 16 gauge needle
- Jewelry is also inserted at the same time
The pain is like the usual pain that occurs in case of any kind of piercing subject to the pain bearing capacity of an individual.
Time taken to heal depends on how fast the body is able to repair itself. Hence, healing time varies from a person to another. However, the usual time taken is about 8-10 weeks.
How to take care of the piercing?
Signs of Infection
Signs such as redness and itching are common during the healing process. Other than that the person must check if there is swelling, discharge of pus and extreme pain as they are signs of an infection. In such cases, consult a doctor and medicate accordingly.
Various kinds of jewelry such as the straight barbell, labret studs, bars, and rings are apt for vertical labret piercing. But curved barbell is the best option. The person can switch to other options once the wound has healed completely.
The cost depends on the choice of jewelry, the fee of the piercing artist and the salon where the piercing is done. But most often the cost is about $60.