Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/masterpiercing/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/services/social_icons.php on line 93
What is Madonna piercing?
Inspired by the famous singer Madonna, this piercing generally locates above the right side of the upper lip. The piercing is an attempt to resemble the beauty spot of the famous singer that was in the same area. A double piercing on the same location is referred to as a double Madonna piercing.
- The person who wants to get the piercing have to rinse their mouth with an anti bacterial solution at the beginning of the procedure.
- The piercing artist then marks the spot where the future piercing will take place, with the help of a surgical pen.
- The person getting the piercing will check for the mark whether placed correctly or not, if the person obliges with the marked spot the artist will proceed further.
- The piercer then clamps the upper lip of the person and a hollow, sterilized needle will then pass through the marked spot and the jewellery will be set into the piercing.
- The most obvious risk is that of an infection due to the use of non sterilized equipment during the piercing procedure.
- If the jewelry is not correctly set it may cause damage to the nerves.
- Excess saliva produced by the salivary glands due to the presence of a foreign object in the person‘s mouth may irritate.
- There are chances that the jewelry become loose and get swallowed leading to a block in the air passage.
- There is a possibility of scarring or keloid formation at the site of piercing in people prone to these effects.
- The metal jewelry may cause gum erosion or may cause the gum to recede because of the constant contact between the metal and the gum.
- The nerves connected to the teeth are more exposed due to the recession of the gums, leading to sensitive teeth.
- Due to gum erosion, the jawbone is at the risk of an infection. This may loosen the teeth and change its position.
- In the worst case, the final outcome may be a loss of the tooth.
- There may be a risk related to the transmission of herpes simplex virus and hepatitis B and C in cases where the equipment used, such as needles are not sterilized.
- The person who wants to get Madonna piercing should take special care of them. A piercing salon that has a good reputation and a clean and hygienic environment must be a preference to avoid any kind of infections.
- The salon must provide sterilized and good quality equipment that reduces the chances of infections or other negative after effects which could follow after the piercing.
- The piercing artist hired to make the piercing must be a professional and should hold experience in his/her job. Using the correct technique during the piercing procedure reduces chances of further complications, considerably.
A Madonna piercing is painful as the area above the lips is very sensitive due the supply of numerous nerves. Pain may be relative in case of different individuals. Those who have thick lips may experience less pain, while a Madonna piercing is more painful for men because they shave regularly, which makes their skin rough and hard. The piercing also causes bleeding.
The usual time taken for a Madonna Piercing to heal is about 8 – 12 weeks. The healing time is subject to change with regard to different individuals because every individual’s body is different and takes different time to repair wounds. Also, the healing time depends on the kind of aftercare taken by the individual.
|· Brush teeth thrice in a day with a mild toothpaste and toothbrush with soft bristles.
· Use warm saline water to rinse mouth after eating.
· Check the jewellery at the threaded end regularly, to ensure that it is tight.
|· Avoid intake of recreational drugs, alcohol and refrain from smoking.
· Do not go swimming or any other places where there are chances of the contaminated water coming into contact with the piercing.
· Avoid the use top creams and cosmetics around the area of the piercing.
How to clean the piercing?
One must clean the piercing regularly until the wound is fully healed. One must make sure to wash his/her hands before touching the piercing. Applying warm salt water with the help of cotton is advisable while rotating the jewellery. Wash the piercings while having a bath with anti bacterial soap and under running warm water. Lastly pat them dry with a disposable napkin.
Similarity between Madonna piercing and Monroe piercing
The Monroe piercing is very similar to the Madonna piercing, the only difference being that the Monroe piercing is on the left side above the upper lip, while the Madonna piercing is on the right side. Monroe piercing also resembles the beauty spot of the famous American actress Marilyn Monroe. Some people may get both the piercings above their upper lip, on either side. This kind of a piercing is k/a Madonna Monroe piercing.
Curved barbells and labret studs are ideal for a Madonna piercing. Acrylic or silicone retainers may be useful in case one wants to hide the piercing. It is an advice that the person should continue wearing the same jewellery placed initially until healing and opt for changing it after the wound is completely repaired.
Prices of a Madonna piercing ranges between $25 – 80. It may differ according to the choice of jewellery that an individual may opt for.