Spider Bites Piercing
What is Spider Bites Piercing?
A pair of piercings on the lower lip, at the corner of the mouth is referred to as spider bites piercing. It is also known as viper bites piercing. It is very similar to the snake bite piercing, but the only distinguishing factor between the two is that the spider bites piercing are placed closer than the snake bite piercing.
Spider Bites Piercing Precautions
- Make sure that the salon at which the piercing is going to be done and the professional who is going to make the piercing are experienced. The professional must use sterilized equipment to make the piercing.
- It is necessary that both the piercings are equidistant from the center of the lip, otherwise it may affect the symmetry of the face. This is why the person who wants the piercing must see the markings for the piercing that are made by the professional before the perforation is made.
- Individuals should consult a doctor before getting the piercing so that the doctor is able to suggest the most convenient and safest procedure.
- Doctors may suggest the intake of Vitamin B through various food sources before getting the piercing as it helps in the faster healing of the wound.
Spider Bites Piercing Risks
- Spider bites piercing refers to double piercing where the pain experienced is obviously more than that in case of a single piercing.
- Piercing has high chances of causing damage to the lower teeth and the lower gum may also get infected.
- Area of the spider bites piercing may be affected by allergic reactions.
- Swollen lips can result due to the piercing, making it hard to speak or eat temporarily.
- Location of this piercing is such that the metal stud that is inserted into the piercing may cause an abrasion to the teeth and gums. The gums may be hurt due to the constant contact with the metal stud and it may also cause the teeth enamel to be chipped off.
Spider Bites Piercing Method
- The procedure begins by sterilizing the area where the piercing is to be made.
- Then the professional marks the points where the needle is going to enter and exit from, with a surgical marker.
- After the customer is satisfied with the position of the markings, the piercing artist proceeds to the next step.
- A sterilized needle is used to make the perforation from the outside to the inside, it can be the other way round too depending on the preference of the customer and the expertise of the artist.
- Jewelry is also threaded to the needle so that as soon as the perforation is made the jewelry can be settled in the piercing.
Spider Bites Piercing Pain
A spider bite piercing is usually said to be less painful as compared to other lip piercings, even though the lip is a sensitive area. Nevertheless, people do experience the pain of a needle perforating their body but people who have undergone this piercing process have said that it is the first stage of healing is likely to be the most painful. But then again the experience of pain depends on one’s ability to bear the pain. At the same time the experience of pain by an individual is also dependent on the kind of technique used by the piercing artist, hence it is advised that people should always obtain services from trained piercing artists.
Spider Bites Piercing Aftercare
Spider bites piercing heal in about 4 to 12 weeks time. But the healing process involves keeping the piercing clean, provided that the technique used for the piercing was correct and hygienic and proper steps were taken for the aftercare treatment of the piercing. Moreover, the body of the person who has undergone the piercing must also be able to repair the wounds internally.
Symptoms of an infection
- Chills, fever & soreness
- Red, swollen & pale site of the piercing
- Severe inflammation
- Itching, irritation & a burning sensation
- Difficulty in chewing & eating
- Swollen lymph nodes of the neck
- Increase in the pain around the piercing that lasts more than 2 days
- Piercing may discharge foul smelling fluid or pus that is yellowish in color
Do’s & Dont’s in case of infections
How to take care of an infection?
- Use a mouthwash that is anti-bacterial and alcohol free to clean the piercing inside the mouth
- Do not remove the jewelry from the piercing as it may cause a block and not allow the infected fluid to leave
- Only use medication and ointments that have been referred by a doctor
- To clean the area of the piercing use lukewarm water & an anti bacterial soap
- Keep your personal belongings like face towels and bed sheets clean. Also keep the jewelry clean to avoid infections
- Rinse the mouth thoroughly after meals to avoid infection caused by leftover food particles
- People who sweat a lot must wash their piercing more often (about 4-5 times daily)
Spider Bites Piercing Jewelry
Initially the jewelry to be used should be labret studs as they are easier to handle. Although, the most common jewelry used for this piercing are labret studs, ball closure rings or circular barbells.
It is also suggested that the jewelry used for the piercing initially must be larger in case of a ball closure ring and longer in case of a labret stud. This is done to ensure there is enough space to accommodate the swelling. Usually a pair of the same jewelry is worn on the piercing but people can mix and match with styles according to their preference.
Spider Bites Piercing Cost
Usually, the cost of a spider bite piercing is said to range between $40 – 80. But the cost may vary depending on the salon and the piercing artist one chooses in order to get the piercing. Also prices may vary depending on whether both the piercings are made at the same time or they are made one at a time. Most often discounts are offered to those who get both the piercings done at the same time. The cost of the jewelry one chooses for the piercing also affects the cost of the piercing.