What is Tongue Piercing?
It is an oral piercing on the tongue either in the center or at its edges. The history dates back to the Mayan and Aztec cultures that started perforating the tongue. The Frenulum, Snake-eye, Venom are all different types and tongue piercings names.
Cute Tongue Piercing
Types of Tongue Piercings
- Frenulum Piercing
- Midline Piercing
- Horizontal piercing
- Tip Piercing
- Venom Piercing
- Surface Toungue Piercing
Visit a piercing parlor with a hygienic ambiance. The expert starts with wearing the sterilize gloves and numbing the tongue area. He will then mark the spot carefully and insert a hollow needle to make the punches. Make sure that the needle is new. Hereafter jewelry placement will follow.
Tongue Piercing Healing Stages & Time
It generally takes six to eight weeks for the tongue to heal. During the healing process, in the initial stages, there can be more seepage of transparent non-sticky fluid which will form a crust near the piercing. The discharge will gradually reduce with the passage of time. The time can be more or less depending on the aftercare measures. If it leads to infection, then it can extend the recovery period.
Tongue Rings for Guys
Pain – How badly does a Tongue Piercing hurt?
The pain is not much but can be a little more than the pain associated with accidental biting the tongue. The tongue may also pain when eating, drinking and talking. Proper aftercare can reduce the pain to a large extent but it is expected to be felt for the next 4-6 weeks after the piercing.
Risk of Tongue Piercings
- Problem in speaking, drinking and eating.
- Damage in gums, tongue muscles and tooth erosion.
- Causing allergy from metal.
- Swallowing of jewelry
- Rejection and migration
Tongue Piercing Rings
Tongue Piercing Aftercare: Do’s & Don’ts
How to take care of a tongue piercing? Here are some do’s and don’ts that you need to follow:
- Clean mouth regularly using an antibacterial solution
- Always touch the piercing with clean hands.
- Maintain proper oral hygiene.
- Use a soft toothbrush and mild toothpaste for cleaning.
- Drink more water to keep yourself hydrated.
- Eat simple food that does not cause stimulations.
- Play with or remove your piece of jewelry as it may clog the hole.
- Take aspirin or Paracetamol as it can aggravate the swelling.
- Take hot drinks like tea and coffee initially for a few
- Avoid spicy and sticky food. Taking a liquid diet will be preferable.
- Do not use a tongue cleaner for a few
- Do not smoke cigarette, marijuana or anything that can result in infection.
These simple steps are necessary to be followed with proper care for protecting the piercing from an infection.
Infection: Symptoms & Cure
- Excessive swelling
- Redness or discoloration in the area.
- Pus discharge
- Intolerable pain
- Soreness and rashes
- Itching and Irritation
- Clean the wound regularly off the pus.
- Do not remove the jewelry or it will clog the piercing hole.
- Consult a physician for medical help and care.
- Follow the prescription for the stipulated time.
- Dab the area with a warm saline solution as it inhibits the bacterial growth and hence checks the infection from spreading.
Jewelry for Tongue Piercing
A 16-18 mm by 1.6 mm straight barbell is generally used for the piercing. They should either be of titanium or surgical steel. CBRs or curved barbells are preferrable tongue piercing jewelry. Once the piercing heals, the jewelry can get an alternative. Some people use 2 mm, 2.4 mm, 3.2 mm and 4.0 mm jewelry later to stretch the piercing hole.
Solid gold and sterling silver, rose gold are other metal choices. Brass jewelry is usually not suitable for the first time piercing as they are reactive and can cause irritation.
Cost: Tongue piercing
The factors involved in the cost of piercing are the Piercer experience, his technique, studio location, popularity, jewelry, etc. Lowest prices aren’t always the best choices. Compromising on quality means the studio does not follow the disinfected equipment and surrounding, this can later be detrimental to health. Ideal cost of a tongue piercing is between $30 to $100.