What do Scarlett Johnson, Lucy Hale, and Rihanna have in common other than their celebrity status? You’ve guessed it right – they all have Tragus Piercing. You may have noticed a lot of people with this kind of piercing. As per BBC, it got popular after 2005.
So what is a Tragus Piercing? Let’s find out.
Tragus is a small, round, bumpy and a triangle shaped cartilage in front of the ear canal. Some people have a small tragus which makes it impossible to pierce and because the area is thick, there is a lot of tissue to perforate so it takes time and pressure to pierce it.
Does it hurt?
Generally, it doesn’t hurt a lot as there are not limited nerve endings around the area. If you want your piercing to be done properly, don’t try piercing your own tragus and don’t go to the cheapest place you can find. It is very important that you get it done professionally at a studio as a deformed or infected tragus is not the outcome you are looking for. While you’re contemplating to get this piercing remember a simple fact that the Tragus of the ear supports earphones. Follow all the instructions of your piercer or it might make it too infected to perform that simple task.
The pain is usually less as compared to other kinds of piercings. If you had your nose or belly pierced before, you should be able to endure the pain. People usually feel a lot of pressure while the piercer is making the hole. Once it is done, jewelry is inserted inside.
Getting Your Tragus Pierced
- Your piercer will make you lie on your back to get more stability as you won’t be able to move your head.
- He will clean the piercing surface.
- The Piercing expert takes out a needle from the piercing kit and sterilizes it.
- Next, he will insert a cork into your ear canal. The cork keeps the Tragus in position, it doesn’t allow anything inside the canal and also catches the needle after it penetrates the tragus. Some piercers use a straight needle while others prefer a curved gauge.
- Now don’t get alarmed when the piercer applies pressure while making the perforation. Puncturing or piercing the tragus requires some pressure as it is quite thick. It will bleed and it is quite normal.
Consult The Piercer To Select the Right Jewelry
There are earrings, barbells, studs, and bead ring to choose from. Do a little research or ask the piercer for advice which tragus jewelry would be the best to start with. It is important to pick a comfortable jewelry as you have to wear it for the initial few weeks till it heals. You can only try changing it after 6 weeks, so better pay attention or you’d be stuck with a jewelry you don’t like.
- Standard Gauge: 16G , 18G
- Standard Length: 1/4″ , 5/16″ & 3/8″
How long does a Tragus Piercing take to heal?
Complete healing time can take about 6 months to a year and during this time, you should be extra careful about the piercing. Caring for it won’t just avoid infections, but also make it heal faster. Besides, you can only change your jewelry after it has healed.
How much does a tragus piercing hurt?
Infection is a possibility, mainly due to improper aftercare or done by an inexperienced piercer. Pain and swelling are common for a few days, but if the pain doesn’t subside consult a doctor immediately.
The piercing bleeds initially and may bleed after an hour. But if you find redness or soreness around the pierced area, you should immediately call your doctor or the piercer.
In some cases, a yellow or green liquid gets discharged which has a bad smell. People usually panic when they observe it and remove the jewelry. However, it is not a recommended solution to the problem because when you take the jewelry out, the hole closes up and the infection gets trapped inside leading to more problems.
The doctor might prescribe you an antibiotic cream and ask you to clean the area with salt water. You still need to take precautions while dealing with the piercing and make sure you use clean hands only.
Aftercare To Avoid Complications
- Cleaning: Do it least twice a day with saline water solution, using cotton. Make sure you clean the area behind and around the Tragus too. Rotate the jewelry very softly while cleaning it, but refrain from touching it with dirty hands or letting anyone else feel it.Wash your hands, preferably with antibacterial soap before changing the jewelry and don’t let anyone whisper or kiss your pierced ear.
- Infections: It catches infection quickly if it comes in contact with germs or bacteria. Therefore, don’t touch it or play with it no matter how much you feel like.
- Sleeping Habits: Protect the area and avoid turtlenecks by sleeping on the other ear side and answer mobile phones from the other ear. Any injury to the piercing can displace the jewelry or lead to migration.
- Rejection: Your body might even reject it, the jewelry gets pushed out in such an instance. So be sure that you consult your piercer and get the appropriate jewelry after the piercing is done.
- Change pillow: Do this every day for at least the 1st 30 days.
- Swimming: Say no to swimming as the pool water has chlorine which can cause an infection.
Images of Different Tragus Piercings
Celebrities with Pierced Tragus
The fact that tragus piercing is quite an easy process and convenient to hide if required, makes it a huge hit among girls as well as boys. It was in 2005 tragus piercing entered the world of pop culture and since then people have come up with varieties of tragus jewelry. Celebrities like Scarlett Johansson were seen wearing tragus jewelry in posters for the highly awaited film known as ‘Scoop’. Girls from around the world went so crazy after seeing the poster that this style of body piercing soon became a huge hit.
At that time belly button piercing (sported by Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears) was the latest trend, however, the introduction of the tragus piercing immediately made it immensely popular. Since then the popularity of this type of body piercing along with the inception of new jewelry has significantly increased. From something rare, this piercing became the common trend. Apart from Scarlett Johansson, there are some other well-known celebrities, who have sported tragus jewelry like Rihanna, Pink, Shenae Grimes and Lucy Hale. These celebrities have inspired millions of people around the world with their tragus piercings.
Choosing the Best Jewelry
There are different types of earrings like labrets, barbells, bars, etc. Selecting the right jewelry generally, depends on the piercing size.
- It is important to measure the diameter from inside and for people choosing barbells, measure the distance between two balls.
- In case the piercing is too small, it is always better to choose micro jewelry.
- Another important factor while choosing a tragus jewelry is piercing movement.
- People who have a fascination with changing their jewelry quite often, the Teflon jewelry is perfect. The advantage with Teflon jewelry is that it is flexible and does not hinder the movement.
- For those who have sensitive skin stainless steel, titanium, gold or silver jewelry reduces chances of infection to a great extent.
- It is better to have a jewelry with internal threads instead of external ones as they help in reducing irritation caused by piercing.
Different Varieties of Jewelry
Change your jewelry once your piercing is 6 weeks old. Start with a simple gauge as barbell ball gets in contact with the ear devices and might hurt you.
Captive Bead Rings
CBR (ball closure rings) are attached to a connection of beads and range from simple and straight designs to ones looking like expensive jewelry. The small CBR’s are difficult to open and requires a ring opener at times.
Small Tragus Studs
Studs have been used by people for a long time even on traditional ear piercings. These types of sophisticated jewelry add a lot of elegance and style to the person flaunting it. Apart from providing a funky look, they can provide a professional look as well. The best part is that the ear canal remains free making it easier for people to use earplugs and headphones.
They are definitely the popular choice for a majority of people sporting tragus piercing. There are different varieties of rings like beaded, smooth segmented and circular barbells rings. The most common are the beaded and vertical tragus rings popular among both the genders.
Unlike traditional tragus jewelry, micro dermal are small implants. The main benefit with theis flat tragus jewelry is that you can implant them in any body part. The curved bar is available in the shape of an ‘L’.
The bottom part of labret studs consists of flat discs along with straight shaft. The labret studs are available in different styles like a bead, charm, spike, etc. The flat structure of labret studs helps in avoiding rubbing of the skin.
With beads attached to both sides, these metal bars have definitely emerged as a popular choice for the younger generation. Introduced by Jim Ward in the 70’s, barbell earrings come in different styles and shapes. Straight barbells have straight shafts whereas curved barbells appear more like half circles. Apart from proving a funky look, these pieces of jewelry are skin-friendly as well.
Price – How much is a tragus piercing?
The cost depends on different factors like location of the parlor, choice of jewelry, etc. Generally, the cost is less in small towns than bigger cities and an experienced piercer may charge something around $35 – $50. The jewelry price depends on the metal type gold, platinum or silver jewelry.
Tragus Piercing Video