What is Venom Piercing?
Placed horizontally on both the sides of the tongue symmetrical to each other, Venom piercing or surface venom tongue piercing resembles venom bites or frog eyes. It is not very common among people. Unlike a single jewelry as in the case of Tongue piercing, you will have two small barbells on both sides of the tongue. They look scary and catchy both at the same time. This kind of piercing will portray the look of the venomous fangs.
When you go for Venom piercing to a studio or piercing parlor, the piercer may ask you to go for one hole at a time. Such a break will help in healing the first hole before going for the second one. The gap will help in reducing the chances of an infection.
- You will need to rinse your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash. After this, the piercer will mark the piercing spots.
- He will then clamp your tongue to maintain its shape.
- With a hollow needle, the piercer will then pierce a hole in the flesh.
- He will carefully insert the jewelry after that.
Twinge Experienced – Pain
If I have to rate the pain in this kind of piercing, we will give it 4 or 5 from 10. It doesn’t pain a lot during the piercing initially, but its aftermath is quite painstaking. The tongue may become sore and swollen and can hurt later on. To reduce the pain, you can put an ice cube or soak a cotton bulb in cold water to reduce the swelling and redness.
Healing & Aftercare
Frog eyes piercing do not take much time to heal. Usually, it takes 5 to 8 weeks, but that also depends on the aftercare. Listed below are a few simple tips that you can follow to minimize the pain and quicken the healing process.
- Always clean your hands before touching the piercing.
- Maintain proper oral hygiene.
- Use a soft toothbrush and mild toothpaste for cleaning.
- Drink more water to keep yourself hydrated.
- Eat simple food and not the spicy or the one that causes stimulation.
Cleaning & Hygiene
- Rinse and clean your mouth every time after eating. You can get anti-bacterial and non-alcoholic mouthwash in any medical store. You can also prepare a solution by yourself at home.
- Pour a quarter spoon of salt in a glass of lukewarm water. Make sure the water is clean or boiled before use. Use this liquid during the entire healing process. You can cleanse your mouth twice or thrice daily using this solution.
What should you avoid during healing?- Don’ts
Avoid the following during the healing period:
- Do not play with or remove your jewelry as it may clog the hole.
- Do not take hot drinks like tea and coffee initially for a few days.
- Avoid spicy and sticky food. Taking a liquid diet will be preferable.
- Do not use a tongue cleaner for a few days.
Risk & Complications
There is always a risk of dislocation and rejection with most kinds of piercings. The body is in a habit to expel or reject the foreign element. It may also produce antibodies for the same and can also push the jewelry towards the surface. Therefore, there is always a chance of migration and a possibility of scarring in such situation.
Gum & Tooth Erosion
The metallic piece remains inside your mouth most of the time. Hence it produces a risk of gum and tooth erosion. Metal or stone piece of your jewelry can cause scratching and damage to the gums. To avoid this risk, choose such an adornment that is small in size and not very sharp.
In case the piercing is not done correctly, it can cause nerve damage. There is a bunch of nerve endings on the tongue which enables your tasting capacity and speech. If these nerves are damaged, then it can cause numbness and difficulty in speaking.
While eating your food, you need to be careful. If the jewelry is loose and comes out of its place, you may swallow it during eating or sleeping.
The most significant risk in any piercing is that of contagion. Here are some signs that indicate an infection.
- Excessive swelling
- Redness and tongue discoloration.
- Pus discharge
- Excessive pain
Do not panic in this situation and all you need is to consult your physician if these symptoms occur. Follow his prescription and instructions.
The best jewelry option for these kinds of piercing is barbells. You can also try the venom tongue ring which is a cool modification of barbells. You can get them in any color. Remember the choice of metal should be such that it is non-allergic and non-reactive and not harmful to you. You can choose titanium, surgical steel apart from gold and silver.
Venom piercing cost may vary from parlor to parlor, but an acceptable range is $30-$100.