Medusa piercing is the perforation of the philtrum. The piercing is made on the dip above the upper lip. The location is directly below the septum of the nose. The piercing is also known as the philtrum piercing.
The person intending to get a medusa piercing must be aware of the fact that this sort of piercing is not safe from the infections that are followed by any other kind of piercings. It may cause severe infections or any other kind of complication. The infections may cause swelling, redness, pain and discharge of fluids such as pus. In case such a condition occurs it is advisable to take the opinion of a doctor rather than self medicating. Due to its location, the gums and teeth are at high risk of damage due to the contact with the metal back of the jewellery. Another risk involved in case of a medusa piercing is that of scarring. Although, there may be options of scar removal later, but it is better to be informed about such possibilities.
- Choose an experienced piercing artist to make the piercing. Use of the wrong technique to make the piercing increases chances of infections and complications.
- Choose a salon that is clean and hygienic so that chances of an infection are considerably reduced.
- Discuss the procedure with the piercing artist thoroughly to avoid any confusion and complication.
- Choose the jewellery carefully to ensure quick healing and avoid any complication.
- It is advisable for the person to consult a doctor before undergoing the procedure for piercing. It makes the person aware about the possible dangers and any possible allergies that the person may be subject to.
First the philtrum, i.e; is cleaned to remove bacteria that may be present. Then the person must clean the inside of his/her mouth by using an antibacterial solution. A surgical pen is used to mark the exact location for the piercing. Then the piercer may use a clam to stretch the upper lip. After that a hollow, light needle is used to make a perforation on the marked spot and the jewellery chosen by the person is inserted into the piercing immediately.
The experience of pain is relative for different people. This difference in experience is due to the fact that different people have different thresholds of pain. However, in case of a medusa piercing the pain is quite high because the piercing is made at a place that is tender and has a lot of nerve endings located, which make it very sensitive. However, if the piercing is done by an expert who uses the correct technique, then it may be possible to reduce the pain to an extent that is bearable.
Healing time: There are a number of factors that affect the healing process. While regular cleaning and proper care can hasten the healing process, poor choice opf jewellery and touching the wound with dirty hands might further complicate the process. The medusa piercing takes about 6- 12 weeks to heal.
How to avoid infections?
|· Clean the piercing twice a day with warm saline solution.
· Choose the jewellery carefully that will help in healing.
· Have mild food that will help with the healing.
· Keep your mouth clean especially after eating.
· Keep personal belongings like towels and bed sheet clean.
|· Don’t go swimming till the wound has healed completely.
· Do not drink alcohol or smoke till the wound has healed.
· Do not change or take off the jewellery till the wound has healed.
· Avoid spicy food that will hurt the wound.
· Do not use antiseptic mouthwash as it is too harsh.
The best possible jewellery option in case of a medusa piercing is a labret stud. People can experiment with the jewellery once the jewellery has healed. People who want to hide a medusa piercing may wear acrylic retainers.
Cost incurred in case of a medusa piercing may change depending on the jewellery that the person chooses or the salon and piercing expert hired for the job. Usually, the cost incurred for a medusa piercing rages between $20-$30.