What is a Monroe piercing?
Monroe piercing is a type of lip piercing on the left side of the upper lip. It derives its name from Marilyn Monroe’s beauty spot and therefore is famous as Marilyn Monroe Piercing. When these piercings combine with the Madonna piercing, then they are collectively called as Angel bite piercing. Monroe piercing is also famous as ‘Crawford piercing’ too. It is one of the coolest and cutest lip piercing having a beauty mark made by a shiny stud making it remarkable and charming.
- Locate a parlor with APP certifications having a license for all kinds of facial piercings and body modifications.
- Check whether the equipment is clean and sterilize before use.
- The expert will mark the spot on the upper lip where the perforation is desirable.
- With the help of a hollow needle, he/she quickly makes a hole in the flesh.
- Insert the stud in the piercing.
Pain Experienced in Monroe piercings
Checking the pain ratings on a pain measuring scale, it will obtain a score of 5 on 10. They are not too painful but can be little achy as there are a lot of nerve endings in the upper area of the lip. The twinge also depends on the individual characteristic and pain tolerance. However, the procedure for single puncture is quick, so pain can be instantaneous.
Some bleeding can occur during the piercing process, which is normal. Lip can remain swollen initially for a few days and may later hurt for a couple of days.
Marilyn Piercing Healing Time
The initial healing time for Monroe piercings can take up to 6-10 weeks. Take intensive care during the recovery phase. If its hit by an infection, it can take longer to heal.
Side Lip Piercing Aftercare: Do’s & Don’ts
- Eat, chew and drink carefully and slowly. Do not disturb the piercing till it heals completely.
- Remove the crust from the jewelry only using clean fingers or a cotton swab.
- Do the cleaning gently and not vigorously as it can strain the piercing.
- Maintain oral Rinse mouth frequently using an antibacterial mouthwash.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles for brushing your teeth.
- Dab the piercing with moist cotton soaked in the warm saline solution.
- An ice cube can be useful in reducing the swelling of the lip.
- Avoid consuming sticky and spicy food.
- Do not remove the stud initially.
- Avoid using cosmetics near the piercing area.
- Do not go swimming in public pools.
- Scarring: A visible scar is inevitable if the piercing gets stretched.
- Infections: The body is always prone to infections with an open wound, so it is advisable to take care during healing.
- Gum erosion: Be attentive while choosing a stud for Monroe piercing. If the large-sized stud touches the gums, it can cause gum erosion.
- Teeth chipping: Similar to gum erosion, the wrong size of jewelry can cause scratches on teeth and result in its wear down, triggered by instant rubbing.
Infection: Symptoms and Cure
- An occurrence of extreme redness in the piercing area.
- Severe swelling that doesn’t disappear instead increases slowly and makes eating, drinking or talking difficult.
- Severe pain (only a mild twinge feeling during piecing)
- Harsh rashes or reactions are appearing around the piercing area.
- Itching and irritation for a long time near the piercings.
- Discharge of Pus and blood.
Cure or Remedy
- Clean the infected area using a clean cotton plug soaked in saline water or an antibacterial liquid.
- Do not remove the jewelry as it will block the piercing hole.
- Consult a physician for medical help and care.
- Follow the prescription for the stipulated time.
Jewelry for Marilyn Monroe piercing
Labret studs adorn these piercings well. Barbells and CBRs are not suitable for upper lip placements. Monroe studs are quite trendy and give a look of sexy piercings.
Studs come in different materials ranging from bioplastic to surgical steel. Other precious metals like Gold, Silver, and Platinum are also popular metals for jewelry.
Cost: Monroe piercing
The cost of Monroe piercing is between $30 to $70. The prices are variable and depend on jewelry and Piercing salon as well.