What is Snake Eyes or Snake bite tongue Piercing?
Snake Eyes or Snake bite tongue Piercing is placed horizontally on both sides of the tongue symmetrical to each other and is a Horizontal tongue piercing. Snake eyes piercing is also popular as Venom piercing, snake tongue piercing, snake bite tongue piercing, double tongue piercing or surface tongue piercing resembling the snake eyes. Though it is not very common among people yet, many are now becoming fans of this unique form.
If the horizontal piercing is done near the tip of the tongue, it is generally referred to as Tip of Tongue Piercing. The tongue which is quite flexible looks like the hood of a snake with the piercings on either side. Instead of one jewelry as in Tongue piercing, you will have two small barbells on both sides of the tongue placed horizontally. They look both scary and catchy at the same time. Snake eyes piercing will portray the look of gleaming eyes of a snake.
Procedure For Snake Eyes Piercing
The piercer may ask you to go for a single hole at a time. Such a break will help in healing the first hole before going for the second one. The gap will help in reducing the chances of infection.
- Rinse your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash. After this, the piercer will mark the piercing spots.
- He/she will then clamp the tongue to maintain its shape.
- With a hollow needle, the piercer will pierce a hole in the flesh.
- He/she will carefully insert the jewelry after that.
Snake Eyes Tongue Piercing: Pain
The pain if measured will get a rating of 4 or 5 from 10. It doesn’t pain a lot during piercing initially, but its aftermath is quite painstaking. The tongue may become sore and swollen and hurt later on. To reduce the pain, put an ice cube or soak a cotton bulb in cold water which will reduce the swelling and redness of the tongue.
Healing Time of Horizontal Tongue Piercing
Horizontal tongue piercing or the snake piercing do not take much time to cure. Usually, it takes 5 to 8 weeks in healing, but that also depends on the aftercare measures.
Aftercare: Do’s & Don’ts
- Always clean your hands before touching the piercing.
- Maintain proper oral hygiene.
- Use a soft toothbrush and mild toothpaste for cleaning.
- Drink more water to keep yourself hydrated.
- Eat simple food and not the spicy or the one that causes stimulation.
- Do not play with or remove your piece of jewelry as it may clog the hole.
- Do not take hot drinks like tea and coffee initially for a few
- Avoid spicy and sticky food. Taking a liquid diet will be preferable.
- Do not use a tongue cleaner for a few
Horizontal Tongue Piercing pictures
Cleaning methods and Hygiene tips for Side tongue piercing
Rinse and clean your mouth every time after eating using an anti-bacterial and non-alcoholic mouthwash available at a medical store. A homemade solution is also useful.
Pour a quarter spoon of salt in a glass of lukewarm water. Make sure the water is clean or boiled before use. Use this liquid during the entire healing process. Cleanse your mouth twice or thrice daily using this solution.
Snake Eyes Piercing Risks
There is always a risk of dislocation and rejection with most kinds of piercings. The body is in a habit to expel or reject the foreign element. It may also produce antibodies for the same. It can also push the jewelry towards the surface. Therefore, there is always a chance of migration. There remains a possibility of scarring mostly in such a situation.
Gum & tooth erosion
The metallic piece remains inside your mouth most of the time. Hence it may lead to a risk of gum and tooth erosion. Metal or stone piece of the jewelry can cause scratching and damage to the gums. To avoid this risk, choose an adornment that is small in size and not very sharp.
In case the piercing is not done correctly, it can cause nerve damage. There is a bunch of nerve endings on the tongue which impairs your tasting capacity and speech. If these nerves are damaged, then it can cause numbness and difficulty in speaking.
While eating food, you need to be careful. If the jewelry is loose and comes out of its place, there are chances of swallowing it while eating or sleeping.
The most significant risk is that of contagion. Here are some signs that indicate infection.
- Excessive swelling
- Redness and tongue discoloration.
- Pus discharge
- Excessive pain
Do not panic in this situation, all you need to do is consult your physician if these symptoms occur. Follow his prescription and instructions.
Snake eyes Tongue Piercing: Jewelry
The best jewelry option is barbells also famous as snake eye tongue rings or snake eyes piercing tongue rings. They are available in many colors. Remember the choice of metal should be such that it is non-allergic and non-reactive and not harmful. You can choose titanium, surgical steel apart from gold and silver.
Cost of Snake eyes piercing
Snake eyes piercing can cost anywhere between $40 to $100. The prices may vary with the choice of jewelry and piercing parlor.
Table of Contents
- What is Snake Eyes or Snake bite tongue Piercing?
- Procedure For Snake Eyes Piercing
- Snake Eyes Tongue Piercing: Pain
- Healing Time of Horizontal Tongue Piercing
- Aftercare: Do’s & Don’ts
- Cleaning methods and Hygiene tips for Side tongue piercing
- Snake Eyes Piercing Risks
- Snake eyes Tongue Piercing: Jewelry
- Cost of Snake eyes piercing